Java Projects
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  

Math Club Problem Solving

Go down 
3 posters

Are the Problem Solving Lectures a good idea?
Yes
Math Club Problem Solving I_vote_lcap60%Math Club Problem Solving I_vote_rcap
 60% [ 3 ]
No
Math Club Problem Solving I_vote_lcap40%Math Club Problem Solving I_vote_rcap
 40% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

AuthorMessage
Java_illiterate1337
Illiterate
Illiterate
Java_illiterate1337

Male Number of posts : 51
Job/hobbies : sleeping...
Projects : World domination, nuking Africa..
Registration date : 2008-02-19

Math Club Problem Solving Empty
PostSubject: Math Club Problem Solving   Math Club Problem Solving EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 3:59 pm

Since Elkins might start doing Mandelbrot next year, and in order to increase our qualifiers for the AIME exams,
next year, I might start teaching problem solving out of my book First Steps for Math Olympians at Math Club every Monday.
Since I will be teaching out of a book, it shouldn't really matter who teaches as long as we can explain the method used to reach the answers.
I plan to explain the theorems + results in each chapter, then work through examples, and finally give the ten problems relating to the subject, which I will have copied from the book, as homework. If there are any questions, they could ask me the next Monday when we go over the answers to the homework assignment.

Chapters in First Steps for Math Olympians:
1.Aritmetic ratios
2.Polynomials and their Zeros
3.Exponentials and Radicals
4.Defined Functions and operations
5.Triangle geometry
6.Circle geometry
7.Polygons
8.Counting
9.Probability
10.Prime decomposition
11.Number Theory
12.Sequences and Series
13.Statistics
14.Trigonometry
15. Three-Dimansional Geometry
16.Functions
17.Logarithms
18.Complex Numbers

Again, we will cover one chapter every Monday and assign ten questions as homework. Keep in mind that each chapter is pretty much ony an "intro" to the subject.

I still need to ask both Ward and the future President what they think.
Any Feedback/ideas?
Back to top Go down
Marth
Developer
Developer
Marth

Male Number of posts : 165
Job/hobbies : Breaking Eric's Java
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Math Club Problem Solving   Math Club Problem Solving EmptyThu May 01, 2008 12:17 pm

I question how many people would want to listen to you lecture about math...but anyway, you should edit in a poll Smile

Last edited by Marth on Fri May 02, 2008 11:18 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Munchlax
He who eats
He who eats
Munchlax

Male Number of posts : 31
Job/hobbies : Eating
Projects : Heavenly Divine Mana Sword Tales of Mana: The Manaful Journey for Mana
Registration date : 2008-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Math Club Problem Solving   Math Club Problem Solving EmptyThu May 01, 2008 3:08 pm

I think it's a pretty good idea.

It would make the club more "math-like" and more official and not just a name slapped onto a group of people who go to math/cs competitions.

Though I think you'll need to brush up on your intercommunication skills and teaching, Ani. While they're probably not as bad as say, me or Michael's, if you could get teaching or communicating skills from Jared it would be cool.
Back to top Go down
Java_illiterate1337
Illiterate
Illiterate
Java_illiterate1337

Male Number of posts : 51
Job/hobbies : sleeping...
Projects : World domination, nuking Africa..
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Math Club Problem Solving   Math Club Problem Solving EmptyThu May 01, 2008 4:05 pm

Marth wrote:
I question how many people would want to listen to you lecture about math...but anyway, you should edit in a poll Smile

Keep in mind that we're teaching out of a book, so if I'm not the best option, we could always get someone else like Pettyjohn to do them. Moreover, it's out of a book, so anyone should be able to explain the concept as long as they get it.

I put a poll in General Discussion, plz vote!!!!\

Mod edit: I edited in your poll here, and deleted the extra one in general discussion. -Marth
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Math Club Problem Solving   Math Club Problem Solving Empty

Back to top Go down

Math Club Problem Solving
Page 1 of 1